eK-3zmjBImBHOZjRJYEZVBw4ZWs Shaky Mommy: Adaleigh

Friday, December 2, 2011

Adaleigh

I debated on what to post today. Today is a hard day for my family. My little niece died two years ago, at the age of 4. Technically, her date of death is December 4th. But for me, December 2nd is the day things changed, the day I got that terrible phone call that told me she had been rushed to the hospital. 

Adaleigh had woken during the night screaming and pulling at her hair. She could not be consoled. By the time the paramedics arrived, it was clear that Adaleigh was having seizures. She was taken to a local hospital. When they could not stop the seizures, they did a CAT scan and discovered that she was bleeding in her brain. She was transferred to Children's Hospital, where an emergency surgery to relieve pressure on her brain was performed. But it was too late. 

When my brother told me that the doctors said the bleeding in Adaleigh's brain was caused by an arteriovenous malformation (AVM), I remember wondering why it was Adaleigh and not me. I also have an AVM in my brainAVM's are found in less than 1% of the population, so it seemed somewhat surreal for two people in one family to be diagnosed with AVM's. I felt heartbroken for my brother, and wished I could swap places with Adaleigh. To me, it seemed unfair that my AVM was fine, while Adaleigh's had ruptured after only 4 short years. 


I will never understand why little children die.


We love you and miss you, sweet baby Adaleigh.  




3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. She was a very beautiful little girl. I also lost a relative & after 22 yrs. I still feel it when the anniversary/holiday rolls around. My sisters first born, Daniel, died at the age of 8 1/2 months of crib death on Mother's Day. I also will never forget getting this phone call and a Mother's Day never passes where he is not in my thoughts. You are now in my thoughts as well, I hope you are able to find peace with this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember getting a phone call from Ryan that night, and I still pray for you all and Bradly every December.

    ReplyDelete