eK-3zmjBImBHOZjRJYEZVBw4ZWs Shaky Mommy: Second Annual Flats & Handwashing Challenge, Day 1

Monday, May 21, 2012

Second Annual Flats & Handwashing Challenge, Day 1

DDLbutton
Today kicks off the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. I participated last year as well. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world! I'm participating for a few reasons: to help raise awareness, to help prove it can be done, and to practice being a little more self sufficient. I'll readily admit that I'm a little spoiled by modern conveniences. It's always good to know how to do things in a more "old fashioned" way, even if you only have to use your skills every once in a while when the power goes out. 


Last year, I was more excited than I should have been about handwashing diapers and folding flats. I was so happy to be participating in something that could help show that cloth diapers don't have to be expensive and that you can use cloth even if you don't have a washing machine. This year, I'm still happy to be participating, but not as excited for some reason. It could have something to do with the headache that's been plaguing me for about 3 weeks now! I also think the novelty has worn off for me, which has me wondering if I'm going to make it through the challenge! 


Flats aren't hard to use and I use them about once a day anyway. But handwashing can be a pain- it makes my hands tired. However, it's an integral part of the challenge. Many people who would need to use flats just don't have regular access to a washing machine. I'm pretty committed to having Jaxon in cloth so I think I would still use cloth if I didn't have a washing machine. However, I'd probably be looking to borrow access to a machine once a week or so to give myself a break.  


I went ahead and put Jaxon in two flats last night, diaper bag fold, with a pad fold in the middle for extra absorbency, inside an Econobum cover. No leaks, even though he also pooped! Since I normally rinse Jaxon's nighttime diapers before dropping them in the pail each morning, I decided to just go ahead and wash these two diapers this morning. They are now drying on the hanging rack inside since it's raining outside.


In doing this, I learned that our hall bathroom sink stopper doesn't work. I left the flats to soak and came back to a sink with no water in it. I also learned that two flats, a cover, one wipe, and one fleece liner fill up the tiny sink. If I want to wash more than one diaper at a time, I'm going to have to use the tub.


I'm definitely going to have to wash diapers tonight. I'm not sure where all my flats have gone to, but I thought I had 20. However, I only have 6 left after today and I know I didn't change Jaxon that many times.


Are you participating in the Flats & Handwashing Challenge? How did your Day 1 go? 

No comments:

Post a Comment