eK-3zmjBImBHOZjRJYEZVBw4ZWs Shaky Mommy: Twice Fried French Fries: The Best French Fries in the Whole World

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Twice Fried French Fries: The Best French Fries in the Whole World

My kids have not actually tasted every type of french fry in the world, but when your 7 year old proclaims that your fries are "the best fries in the whole world", you just accept the compliment. When your husband and your other two kids also say it, you know it must be true. Jaxon's the only one who didn't say they were the best, but I like to think he agrees with the rest of the family. ;-)


The great thing about these amazing fries is that you can make them, too! My friend Jesse taught me how to make these. He's a chef at Whole Foods, so he knows what he's doing. Thankfully, he also knows how to make things sound easy enough for me to attempt them. I am not a whiz in the kitchen, so anything I make has to be easy and foolproof. These fries pass the test.


Here's what you need:
Yukon Gold potatoes
Peanut Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper


Wash & dry your potatoes. You don't need to peel them - the skin on these potatoes is thin so it still makes a great fry, even with the skin on. 


Slice the potatoes. Uniformity doesn't matter, but it helps to keep the thickness of the fries about the same. Mine usually end up between 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch thick. 


Heat your oil to 250 degrees. I use a deep fryer and it starts at 260 degrees, so that's what I do and it works fine. Once the oil is at the desired temperature, place a large handful of fries in the basket and lower into the oil. Fry for 3 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl or on a plate. Continue until all your fries have been fried for 3 minutes at 250-260 degrees. 




Place your plate or bowl of fries in the refrigerator for an hour to cool. 


Heat your oil again, this time to 350 degrees. Once again, my fryer doesn't have a setting for 350, so I use 360 and it works fine.


Once the oil is hot enough, drop a large handful of fries into the oil - again, don't place too many in at a time. Fry for 4-5 minutes or until they are your desired level of golden brown. 


Remove and place on platter - immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Result: amazing fries. The picture does not do these fries justice. They are really good! I get hungry just looking at this picture!







No comments:

Post a Comment