eK-3zmjBImBHOZjRJYEZVBw4ZWs Shaky Mommy: Cucumber Tomato Salad

Monday, July 18, 2011

Cucumber Tomato Salad

Confession: I can't cook. Or rather, I don't cook. My husband does the majority of the cooking around here, and we eat out more than I would care to admit. I really do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen except to clean (what I lack in cooking skills I more than make up for in cleaning skills!) Anyway, I said all of that to get to this point: if you see a recipe posted on here, then you can be assured that it is very EASY to make. I also don't do well digging out cookbooks and measuring things out (shaky hands and little measuring spoons do not mix). So I eyeball lots of things and estimate amounts and usually just pour ingredients straight into the bowl. If I can do it and have tasty results, anyone can!


We've had lots of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers in our produce boxes this summer. What better way to enjoy them than in a salad? My kids love tomatoes and cucumbers and so they gobble this salad right up! 


Tomato Cucumber Salad 


2 medium tomatoes  
1 large cucumber
1 medium or large onion
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Approximately 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (you can also use olive or canola)
Approximately 2 tablespoons white vinegar


I find it works well to use a casserole type dish because more veggies can be in the dressing once your pour that in. Chop up your veggies into your dish. Mix your other ingredients in a small cup and then pour it over your veggies. Stir the veggies up to mix the dressing over everything. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Everything tastes better after it marinates in the dressing. Ideally, you'll want to leave it in overnight, or if you are serving it at night, make it in the morning and let it marinate in the refrigerator all day. I estimate my ingredients for the dressing and truthfully, I probably use about 4 tablespoons vinegar because my daughter and I love it!


Here's the one I made today. We had no onions but lots of green peppers. So I added a couple of those, one red tomato, one orange heirloom tomato, two small albino cucumbers, and one small regular cucumber. That's the beauty of this "recipe" - if you are missing something, just adapt the recipe or if you have other fresh veggies on hand that you think would taste good, just toss them in! Doesn't it look colorful and yummy?






Do you have a favorite summer salad you like to make?



No comments:

Post a Comment