eK-3zmjBImBHOZjRJYEZVBw4ZWs Shaky Mommy: Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Review

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Review



Tropical Traditions sent me a sample of their Gold Label Standard Virgin Coconut Oil to try. It came right before we went to Disney World so I just stuck it in the cabinet with intent to try it when we got back. Then our power was out for a week and various other things went on, so I finally just got a chance to try it this week. I wasn't sure what to make, though, so I went to their website, which is full of great recipes, for some ideas.


I think I've mentioned before that I don't cook very much. I love food, but I do not have a love for cooking. So first and foremost, I was looking for something easy. I was happy to find lots of recipes that only called for a few ingredients and that were easy for someone like me to make! I was going to make coconut balls -my husband loves coconut and I thought he might enjoy those, but I could not find any unsweetened coconut flakes at the store, so I decided to go with my daughter's pick instead: egg drop soup (recipe below). Alex loves egg drop soup, but I'm the only other one in the house who likes Chinese food, so we don't eat it very often. She was thrilled when I told her what I was making. 
I pulled the recipe up on my iPad, gathered my ingredients
 and got started. I went ahead and beat the eggs first.
Then I mixed chicken stock, water, and ginger in a pot and brought it to simmering. After it got hot, I stirred in some cornstarch to thicken the broth.

Once that heats up, you drizzle the eggs into the broth. This was the only involved part. I was scared of screwing it up so I didn't take pictures while I was doing it, but it was actually VERY easy.




The last step is to stir in the coconut oil. If you've never used coconut oil, you should know ahead of time that it doesn't look like vegetable oil unless it's warm. When it arrived at my house in the 100 degree temperatures, it was definitely a liquid. But at it's room temperature state, it's more of a creamy solid. I scooped it into the egg drop soup and it really made the soup. Before the coconut oil, it tasted like chicken broth with eggs in it. After I added it, it tasted just like egg drop soup from a good Chinese restaurant! I was very impressed. Alex loved it!

The finished product - YUM!
I am looking forward to trying out more recipes with this coconut oil. I think it will bring a lot of unique flavor to whatever its added to. 

Have you ever used coconut oil? What did you make with it? 

Egg Drop Soup with Coconut Oil
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups water
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 4-5 eggs, beaten
  • organic fermented soy sauce (or salt) to taste
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
Pour chicken stock, water and ground ginger into a medium sized pot. Heat until hot but not yet simmering. Add a little water to the cornstarch to make a slurry and stir into the stock. Bring stock to a simmer, stirring constantly until it has thickened slightly.
Drizzle the beaten eggs into the gently simmering soup with a fork. Push cooked egg aside as you drizzle more in. Towards the end you can just slowly pour the rest of eggs into the soup.
Season the soup with a little soy sauce (or salt) to taste and stir in coconut oil. Serve and enjoy!


Connect with Tropical Traditions:


Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment